ActuTopo-guideSortiesForumsPhotosConnexion
Entrez votre email et récupérez votre mot de passe dans votre boite
Ou
J'ai déjà un compte
Connexion
Entrez l'email et le mot de passe que vous avez reçu lors de votre inscription
Créer un compte | Mot de passe oublié
Accueil > Tous les forums > Itinéraires > Need advice on a bike tour of Provence

Need advice on a bike tour of Provence

Aller à la page : 1 2 3 Suivante

Nouveau sujet Voir tous les sujets Chercher Archives
R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 29/11/2014 12:47

Warm greetings from cyclists of Russia!
In the late spring - summer's beginning 2015 our group of 4 or 6 people would like to visit South France by bicycles (from Lyon to Nice).
Our bikes (my and my wife) are Author and Vortrieb touring (hybrid) 28". So, asphalt is the best for us but light off-road is no problem too.
Duration: ~ 3 weeks
Overnights: B&B, private houses... the cheaper the better, but without tents.
Is it right that I'm asking advice on this forum? If not, could you please let me know another forum's address (more suitable in this case)?
I am ready to provide here the project of our GPS track and ask some questions.
Thank you very much in advance for understanding and help.
radomir0704[AT]gmail.com

T
tinou74
[361 posts] - Le 29/11/2014 20:16

Hello Radomir

There are plenty of beautiful bicycle routes in this region. It's difficult to give you good advices without knowing more about the route you planned.

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 29/11/2014 21:17

OK. We have an idea to have riding from Lyon to Nice by the following track: www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=yxfdzglwkhfxvpkk&isFullScreenLeave=true
Duration: ~ 3 weeks
Overnights: chambres d'hôtes, private houses... the cheaper the better, but without tents.
We planned to go by this way from 23.04 to 13.05.2014 but.....
And my questions are as follows:
1. Could anybody make some recommendations for us? Which places are necessary to go/see and which ones are not? Maybe you can advise us any special places which we have forgotten to add to our list? Please, note that we have already been to Orange, Avignon, Arles during previous visit to Provence...
2. Is it possible to visit Gorges de l'Ardeche at the end of April usually? Which way is more right: clockwise or counterclockwise?
3. Could you please advise us any nice way from Pont-Saint-Esprit to Vaison-la-Romaine? Or it is better to go by our track?
4. Can we visit Mont Ventoux at the end of April-beginning of May by bicycles? When the way to Mont Ventoux will be opened?
5. Can we find any public or private transport from Malaucène to the top of Mont Ventoux for us and our bicycles? How much it could be cost?
6. Which way is the best (more beautiful and interesting) from Mont Ventoux to L'Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue?
7. When we can see lavender's flowering?

What is the best time for our trip? Please note we can change the dates and go there in June, for example. But we don't like snow and much hot weather...

J
jvo8513
[28 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 11:36

My 2 cents...

The way to Mont Ventoux will be open for sure April-beginning of May. I guess there are private transports but going to the top of Mont ventoux by cycle is not so hard (on the North side or from Sault. More difficult from Bédoin).

But the best time would be around mid of June: nice weather but not too hot. April is too early for lavender and it could be a bit colder, especially in Ardèche (not as in Russia ;-) )

You probably know this site, but just in case: www.viamichelin.co.uk/
When there is a green line close to the road, it means that it is a nice road. And you can see 1, 2 or 3 stars close to the name of a city to show the interest.

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 12:55

We think to go to Mont Ventoux from Malaucene. I know that this way is more or less easy www.veloventoux.com/?c=montVentoux
But I'm sure that my wife will not like this climbing. So, we have 2 ways only: to take 2 overnights in Malaucene and ride to the top without my wife or find any transport for delivering there. The second way is better 🙂.
With regards to Mont Ventoux my questions are:
1. Where can we rent a transport in advance? It is risky to look for it on the spot.
2. Which way is the best (more beautiful and interesting) from Mont Ventoux to L'Isle-Sur-La-Sorgue?

B
BDS
[1631 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 13:50

The easiest way to Mt-Ventoux is probably the East (Sault), then from Malaucene, from Bédoin its harder. The slope are sometimes more than 10%.
From the Mt-Ventoux to l'Isle sur Sorgues, I suggest via Sault > St-Saturnin > Gordes > Fontaine de Vaucluse. These villages are beautiful.

T
tinou74
[361 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 15:14

Hello Radomir

I watched your route.

I think the first part of your route between Lyon and Pont St esprit along the Rhone valley is not very interesting. It's quite flat, a lot of factories, refineries, etc in the south of Lyon.
I think it's better from the St exupery airport to follow the direction : L'isle d'Abeau > Romans > Beaurepaire > Hauterives > Romans.
You can then cross the Vercors mountains (very nice). It's better in May or June ; In April you can find snow. For exemple, www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=armweyunlrpkwwnl&referrer=trackList
Then from Die, you cross the Baronnies hills (Drome provençale) up to the Mont Ventoux. Very nice "the real Provence" with a lot of beautiful villages. Many small roads and only few cars.
For example part of : www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=joedhrrezbajopxj&referrer=trackList

From Mt Ventoux I also suggest the route via Sault > St-Saturnin > Gordes > Fontaine de Vaucluse. Or maybe the road of the Gorges de la Nesque.

Your route between Fontaine de Vaucluse > Manosque > Castellane and Grasse is a good choice. Lavender bloom at the end of June.

At the end of your trip maybe it's better to avoid the costal road between Cannes and Nice. A lot of traffic jams etc. It's better from Grasse to go to Vence (for exemple via Gourdon , Tourrettes sur Loup) Saint Paul de Vence,Cagnes and Nice airport. Now if you want to have a look on the Riviera, from Grasse, cross the Tanneron massif and the beautiful red rocks of the Esterel massif. From Agay you can then ride along the sea, up to Cannes.

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 17:43

The slope are sometimes more than 10%
I know about it. That's why we are looking for the transfer to the top.

I suggest via Sault > St-Saturnin > Gordes > Fontaine de Vaucluse
You can see with our track that we will ride to Fontaine de Vaucluse - Gorges - Rustrel after Mont Ventoux. So, we are interesting about the best way from Mont Ventoux to l'Isle sur Sorgues more shortly. Maybe, via Sault... What about after Sault?

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 18:20

To: tinou74
Thank you. I will work with your offers and come back soon.
Moreover, that we with my wife have been in Lyon already.
I hope that your offers are not for MTB, because we will have in this trip bicycles as below

T
tinou74
[361 posts] - Le 30/11/2014 19:05

Don't worry, my suggestions concern only asphalt roads.

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 01/12/2014 15:30

To: tinou74
With regards of riding I think the following:
1st part - I have changed the track and you can find the new one here www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=dszlowhnijluozfs&isFullScreenLeave=true
Kindly ask you to check it, especialy Vercors mountains. I can argue my wife to climb in case of the nice and beautiful way there. I know all roads in mountains are nice but we look for the best 🙂
2nd part - Baronnies hills. I think that Vercors mountains are enough at the beginning of our riding. And we would like to visit to Gorges de L'Ardeche. That's why we will ride along Drome river and come back to previous track.
3rd part - after Grass. I will have you ideas in my mind but I'm not sure about enough time to upgrade our trip.

B
BDS
[1631 posts] - Le 01/12/2014 21:52

For the Vercors, it might be better to follow 'Gorges de la Bourne" Pont en Royans and Chorange, then la St_Julien en Vercors.
rather than going to Hauterive, you can also ride a little bit at the east via Roybon and Saint Antoine l'Abbaye and back to St-Nazaire en Royans

T
tinou74
[361 posts] - Le 02/12/2014 07:16

1st part : Vercors mountains are not so hard to cross, but the road : St jean en Royans > col de la Machine > Lente > col de la Chau is maybe slightly more difficult than the road Pont en Royans > Gorges de la Bourne > grottes de Choranche (very beautiful cave with spectacular stalactites)> St Julien en Vercors > La Chapelle as suggested by BDS. An other very scenic road : the "route des grands goulets" D 518, from St Eulalie en Vercors to Les Barraques. if you follow the road of the "Gorges de la Bourne" when you are in Les Barraques you can make a short
round trip to have a view on the steep cliffs of the "grands Goulets".

2nd part: Rather than following the valley road, it's really better to cross part of the Baronnies hills by following, for example, the road : Die > Saillans > col de la Chaudière > Bourdeaux > Dieulefit > Grignan > St Paul trois châteaux

R
Radomir
[21 posts] - Le 02/12/2014 11:48

To: tinou74 and BDS
I have changed my track again with regards of your suggestions.
The main track is here www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=zbivwzbexpioezfz&isFullScreenLeave=true
It could be trimmed in the case of gravity like here www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=bmfduufgjiyszmws&isFullScreenLeave=true
I look as option the final part www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=jlmanyfyqzsvyzxr&isFullScreenLeave=true
What can you say about the above with regards of my wishes?

T
tinou74
[361 posts] - Le 02/12/2014 14:13

From Lyon to Die, I think that your choice is valid.
Now it's really better, I think to cross part of the Baronnies hills rather than following the noisy and sometimes congested roads along the Drome and Rhone valleys.

Aller à la page : 1 2 3 Suivante

Connectez-vous pour poster
Pour soutenir VTTour, faites le bon choix
En cliquant sur "accepter" vous autorisez l'utilisation de cookies à usage technique nécessaires au bon fonctionnement du site, ainsi que l'utilisation de cookies tiers à des fins statistiques ou de personnalisation des annonces pour vous proposer des services et des offres adaptées à vos centres d'interêt.

Vous pouvez à tout moment modifier ce choix ou obtenir des informations sur ces cookies sur la page des conditions générales d'utilisation du service :
REFUSER
ACCEPTER